Learn About Upcoming Local Events in Charleston
Want to know what’s going on in Charleston this weekend or for the holiday? Here are some upcoming events in Charleston:
View our Charleston Events Calendar.
Looking for something special to do in Charleston, SC this summer? Here are 10 Charleston summer festivals and events to check out in 2023—plus some additional ideas for things to do during the summer months. Whether you live in Charleston […]
Looking for Charleston, SC races in 2023? You’ve come to the right place. Here is a list of upcoming races in the spring and summer–stay tuned for fall and winter races later in the year. Running Races in Charleston, SC […]
The Cooper River Bridge Run brings tens of thousands of runners from all over the world to Charleston each year. Here, Charleston resident and Registered Dietician Kayla Fitzgerald shares her tips for fueling to “get over it” on race day. […]
When you think about a night out in Charleston, baseball might not immediately come to mind. But, going to a RiverDogs game is a fun and relaxed experience, and you don’t have to know much about baseball to enjoy an […]
Several 5k running races take place in the Holy City throughout the year. While it is possible to find a 5k in Charleston year-round, the late winter-early spring time period has the highest concentration of races in the area. During […]
The Lowcountry Oyster Festival is a staple on the annual Charleston events calendar. Taking place at Boone Hall Plantation in Mount Pleasant, it is billed as “the world’s largest oyster festival,” with more than 45,000 pounds of oysters on offer […]
Looking for a Local Event in Charleston?
All types of local events take place in Charleston year-round. From boat and car shows to live sporting events, musical performances, and festivals, you can find an event to attend no matter what your personal interests may be. Several Charleston neighborhoods host well-attended events during the holidays as well.
Some of the Charleston area’s recurring local events include:
Cars and Coffee
If you are an automotive enthusiast, you know about Cars and Coffee. There are three main Cars and Coffee events in the Charleston area:
- Charleston Cars and Coffee on Saturday mornings at 8:00am (1712 Towne Centre Way, Mount Pleasant, SC)
- Kiawah Island Cars and Coffee the third Saturday of every month at 9:00am (165 Village Green Lane, Kiawah Island, SC)
- West Ashley Cars and Coffee the last Sunday of the month at 8:00am (1664 Olde Towne Rd., Charleston, SC)
Exhibitions and Displays
Charleston hosts several exhibitions and displays every year, from the Southeastern Wildlife Expo to art shows at galleries downtown. The Charleston Boat Show is a popular local event held at the Charleston Coliseum each year as well.
There are several farmers markets in the Charleston area. Some of these farmers markets are seasonal, and days and hours can vary, so check out the specific farmers market’s website before you go. Farmers markets in Charleston include:
- Charleston Farmers Market (downtown Charleston)
- Mount Pleasant Farmers Market
- Sea Island Farmers Market (Johns Island)
- Sunday Brunch Farmers Market (James Island)
- West Ashley Farmers Market (affiliated with the Charleston Farmers Market (same website))
Fairs and Festivals
The Coastal Carolina Fair takes place in North Charleston from late October through early November. Arts festivals, food and wine festivals, oyster festivals, and other Lowcountry events take place throughout the year.
Several venues in Charleston host live musical performances, dance performances, and other performances throughout the year. Local venues that host live events in Charleston include:
- Charleston Coliseum
- Charleston Music Hall
- Credit One Stadium
- Dock Street Theater
- Gaillard Center
- Holy City Magic
- Sottile Theatre
Sports Events and Tournaments
Charleston is home to three professional sports teams, and its golf courses and stadiums host nationally televised tournaments put on by the PGA and USTA. Residents and visitors can take in games at:
- Joe Riley Stadium (Charleston RiverDogs) – April through September
- Patriots Point (Charleston Battery) – March through October
- North Charleston Coliseum & Performing Arts Center (Charleston Stingrays) – October through April
Charleston knows how to celebrate the holidays. From multiple fireworks displays on Independence Day to boat parades on Memorial Day and the Holiday Festival of Lights in November and December, there are holiday events throughout the Charleston area and its surrounding neighborhoods. Summerville and Daniel Island host temporary outdoor ice skating rinks during the holiday season as well.
Marathons and Other Races
The Charleston County Parks and Recreation Commission (CCPRC) and various other organizations host running races of all distances throughout the year. The CCPRC also has a sprint triathlon series, and LOWVELO hosts cycling events in Charleston. Some of the Charleston area’s most popular races (and the months in which they typically take place) include:
- Charleston Half Marathon – January
- Cooper River Bridge Run 10k (Mt. Pleasant to Downtown) – April
- Save the Light Half Marathon and 5k (Folly Beach) – February
- Lowcountry Trail Half Marathon and 5k (Johns Island) – October
- Kiawah Island Marathon and Half Marathon – December